If you haven’t heard the term “mindset” yet, it’s time to get excited! If you want to achieve your goals (from weight loss to career to parenting to finding more joy in your life), your mindset is truly the key that will unlock those changes you desire!
I don’t doubt you’ve heard something along those lines before, right?
- This diet will be the diet that ends all diets, forever!
- This workout plan is easy! You won’t have any trouble following it!
- This parenting technique is literally “1-2-3 Magic!”
For every change you desire in your life, there’s a book or guru who will promise you that theirs is the answer that will work for you!
And while I adore optimism and hope, I am here to tell you: they are most likely wrong. (I won’t call them liars because that wouldn’t be nice, and I do believe that they mean what they say… but it doesn’t mean it will indeed work for you.)
What will work for you: going inward. Getting quiet. Determining what it is you desire, why you desire it, and what you are seeking.
I know, I know: it’s not that easy! You know what you desire, and you (think you) know why you desire it.
But here’s the thing: if you have yet to achieve your goals, there is a very (VERY) high likelihood it ties back to your mindset.
As I said, I think most of us have heard the term “mindset” before, but a quick definition:
Your mindset is simply “the habits of the mind.”
- To make it as simple as possible, your mindset is the sum of the messages you send yourself about any particular topic.
- Do you want to lose weight, but believe you have always struggled so why would this be any different? Your mindset is one of struggle and defeat.
- Do you want to lose weight, and know that eating right will make you feel better, have more energy, and help you balance your hormones so you’ll be able to have fewer headaches and sleep better? Your mindset is one of empowerment and seeking and pursuing positivity and joy!
- Do you see the difference?
In the interest of keeping this post a “minute,” I’m going to give you a couple quick tips to change your mindset, but please know that if you want to go deeper, our Train Your Brain course is a 21-day course that helps you really develop the habit of seeking joy and pursuing your goals from a truly authentic and empowering place! Hit me up if you’d like more info about it, we are beginning a LIVE course soon!
Okay, so let’s just discuss a few super simple but game-changing tips for embracing an empowering mindset and achieving your goals…
Passionately pursue growth and changing for the better.
I am far from perfect. You are far from perfect.
But if we both recognize that fact for what it is and then decide “I wanna get better, even if it is hard, because I know that hard work is how I grow and change and achieve my goals,” guess what? You’re embracing a growth mindset!
And a growth mindset is the key to being able to change your life for the better!
Change your language.
It’s time to stop beating yourself up for your imperfections and it’s time to start talking to yourself like you would your best friend, your child, or anyone you love.
Do you call yourself “fat” or “a loser” or “pathetic?”
Would you ever call your child any of those terms (or any other gems you routinely throw your way)?
I’m gonna assume the answer is “NO way, Cori! That’s mean and ugly and I wouldn’t treat someone I love that way!”
Uhhm… then why on earth would you talk to yourself that way?!
You’ve heard the phrase, “You can only love others as much as you love yourself.” And it’s true.
To love others, you must first practice self-love, and that means it’s time to stop being meaner to yourself than you would anyone else.
You won’t be perfect at this (and we’re okay with imperfection, see below) but start to become aware. When you’re mean to yourself, just take a breath and make a different choice.
When our children learn to walk, we celebrate like crazy people the minute they wobble, wobble, step, step, FALL!
We celebrate because they tried! Did they walk gracefully and perfectly the first time? Nope, but we celebrated like they’d just won a 200-meter dash, because they were trying!
To grow, and get better, recognize you won’t do it perfectly. You’re going to have slips. You’re going to have days when you miss a workout, or speak harshly to your child, or flake on a carpool.
And when you do, you employ all three of these tips:
- To passionately pursue growth and changing for the better, you forgive yourself, get back on track, and figure out how to do better next time.
- To change your language, instead of saying, “Sheesh there you go again, you idiot,” you say, “Whoopsie, that sucked, but you know what? I’ve gotten in four workouts this week (never missed a carpool, rarely speak to little Janey like that) and so this one slip up does not define me.”
- To embrace imperfection, you recognize that at least you’re trying, and imperfect forward motion beats no motion whatsoever every. single. time!!!
Changing your mindset is a practice. Just like yoga (or parenting, or running, being organized, you name it), you get better in little bits that add up over time to big, empowered, joyful changes!
What is amazing about mindset work is that it can be done anywhere, anytime. No equipment, no special workout clothes or new shoes required. You can do it in the middle of a meeting, or in the middle of a meltdown!
It’s about remembering all the reasons you want to change- all the positive reasons that change means more joy, more love, more connections, and more confidence in your life.
And then taking a breath, and choosing the mindset that’s going to get you there.
It isn’t simple, and it isn’t easy, but it’s always available to you, and over time, with self-love, you can dramatically change how you eat, move, rest, and connect.
And all those things that used to be hard? They’re a part of your healthy, loving, joyful lifestyle!
(And so then you pick new challenges, because you’re passionately pursuing growth… but for today, start with the basics, lol).
If you want to learn more about mindset coaching or connect with a group of moms like you, all pursuing healthy mindsets and healthy lifestyles, hit me up hereor pop on over to our Join page! And remember: Mom’s Running Club is about the moms! We don’t all run, so if you’re not sure you’re ready to run, that’s a-okay!