I created this burrito bowl casserole a few months ago, and this week when I found it in my notes, I have to admit: I wasn’t sure how it worked. The flavors seemed a little strange, especially for my kids. However, I decided to give it a try again, and it’s a total hit! This will totally become a regular at our house!
My original inspiration was the burrito bowl at Chipotle… and who doesn’t love a Chipotle burrito bowl, right? My family all have their own personal ways of creating their custom burrito at the restaurant, so the challenge was to satisfy the super-basics kids as well as my no-holds-barred (plus all the hot sauces) husband. And in a busy household, casseroles are always convenient, because they can be created early, heated and held for those who need to eat after their activities.
When it comes to planning for this recipe, I suggest trying the slow cooker chicken cheatmethod to prepare your chicken, or alternatively, pick up a rotisserie chicken.
- Four chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Brown rice, 2 c (Uncle Ben’s ready rice works great as a clean and quick option)
- Frozen corn, thawed and drained, 2 c
- Pinto beans, one can, rinsed
- Plain greek yogurt, 1 c
- Mild or medium salsa, depending on your family’s preference, 2 c
- Small can mild chilies
- Smoked paprika, 1/4 t
- Garlic powder, 1 t
- Mexican oregano, 1 t
- Salt, 1/2 t
- Pepper, 1/4 t
- Juice of one half lime
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In large bowl, place shredded chicken, brown rice, corn, and beans.
- In smaller bowl, combine sauce ingredients.
- Pour sauce over chicken mixture, fold ingredients together.
- Place in 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with shredded cheese, diced romaine or spinach, diced avocado, and hot sauce or hot salsa.
What would you add to make it extra special for your family’s personal taste buds?!